Thank you for Scoredoom!

Thank you for Scoredoom!

Postby TheJBizz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:30 am

I feel a bit weird posting this on your message board, but I couldn't find an email address for you, so here it is. I've been playing Doom 2016's Arcade Mode, and I had a sudden memory flash of my time with Scoredoom and just how much fun it was. I have a serious thing for arcade-style scoring systems, and Scoredoom was exactly the scratch for my itch. There's a powerful thrill in just racking up points even if I couldn't make it to the leaderboards, and trying to maximize my score made even classic IWAD maps exciting again. I didn't even bother using the custom monster pack, because even the core gameplay of vanilla Doom meshed perfectly with the scoring system.

But my fondest memory was going one on one with a friend of mine in the multiplayer. I remember gritting my teeth as we burned through the levels as fast as we could, shouting with every penalty from death, and the rush that came from trying to stay one step ahead and slamming that exit button first. It was easily one of my best gaming experiences, and it's such a bummer that real competitive co-op doesn't really exist anymore.

I admit that I haven't played it in a little while since it hasn't been updated lately, and it'd be a bit silly of me to ask you to update a seven year old source port you've probably long moved on from. I guess I don't really have much of a point to this post except to thank you for your work. I admit I don't really follow the community, but it sort of seemed like Scoredoom didn't get the appreciation it deserved, so here's mine. Thanks!
TheJBizz

Re: Thank you for Scoredoom!

Postby admin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:29 pm

TheJBizz,

Thank you, that really means a lot, glad that you had so much fun! Thats exactly what I was aiming for when creating it. Sort of old school arcade co-op experience, like I grew up on during the 80s. Yeah, the biggest compatibility issue with modern wads, are ones that use the newer MAPINFO lmp that is for zdoom/gzdoom. Scoredoom does not support that. The quickest way to fix it, is use a wad editor like SlumpEd to remove the MAPINFO lmp from the wad, it really doesnt change anything. The work on this mod started in 2007 or 2008(?), so technically almost a 10 year old source port!
The most fun MP experience for me, since I play with the packs is LAN/fast internet with gzscoredoom, for the wads with loads of monsters. ScoredoomST, based off of skulltag 97c2 source code release, is more convenient for proper client server play, and fairly stable for wads that are run vanilla with regular amount of monsters, but a lot of quirky bugs that can still crop up with stability.

Again, thanks a lot, it was nice to see a real (and positive) message, and not spam in the forums :). You should try the monster addon pack and bonus pack, just for the Boss Rush experience on E1M8, E2M8, E3M8 etc... :-)

Best,
Bilbohicks
admin
Site Admin

Postby TheJBizz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:50 am

Thanks for the response! I'm just glad I was able to actually reach you.

I decided to redownload Scoredoom, but I'm crashing every time I try to start E1M1 in Ultimate Doom or MAP01 in Doom 2. Here are some pastebin links to what the error report generated for Doom 1. Do you think you could help me out?
https://pastebin.com/0S3D83hE
https://pastebin.com/AxVPkJBu
https://pastebin.com/n2vCnRPS
TheJBizz

Postby TheJBizz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:26 am

It looks like it crashes like that when I turn off the OpenGL renderer. Turned it back on, works fine. How do I turn off player movement with the mouse without turning on mouselook? As in not having the player move forward or backward when I push the mouse forward or backward?
TheJBizz

Postby TheJBizz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:42 am

Quick Google search says I just needed to change the m_forward CVAR to 0. I guess I should have done that before I posted here!
TheJBizz

Postby admin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 am

Glad to hear you got it working!
admin
Site Admin

Postby TheJBizz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:07 am

Thanks!

How did you come up with the particulars of the scoring system? Like, did you have a concept of what kind of gameplay you wanted your players to do and then built a scoring system around it, or was it a kind of iterative process of adding and adjusting ideas? It seems like you were looking to have players UV-Max levels as quickly as possible, but also using high-damage weapons as much as possible. (And destroying every barrel too, I guess?) Was having a bonus tied to killing multiple enemies in a row intended to have players "soften up" stronger enemies to then go for a line through, or was that unintended?

Did you play Doom 2016's Arcade Mode? If you did, what did you think?
TheJBizz

Postby admin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:50 pm

It was an iterative process, as more ideas came to how to score. Basically damage to monsters counts as points, and then a 10% of hit points death bonus. Yeah, it was basically how do UV Maxing everything as quickly as possible, to keep it fast paced. There are some speed runners on the boards, like Green Herring who are very hard to beat.
The chain bonuses came from the deathmatch code already in zdoom/gzdoom, where messages show up based on how quickly a player kills others. It just happens that powerful weapons score a lot more, due to damage dealt + chain bonuses added. Yeah, so causing the most devastation is rewarded with big weapons. Guess the balance is, do you hold on to your big guns, and risk it, or just use them whenever a situation calls for it.

I played Doom 2016 when it came out, but my computer died, did not complete it. Thought it was well done. Seems like they had the same ideas a Brutal Doom ;)
Not played Arcade Mode, but it looks cool.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:50 pm.
admin
Site Admin

Return to GZScoreDoom and ScoreDoomST Discussion